I have only played maybe 10-11 hours of Vanguard so I can’t get into too much content depth. Overall, the game has its perks and I have enjoyed exploring a new world.
- Character customization is highly in depth. This reminds me the most of EQOA with the attribute points. Additionally, each class can be built in typically 3 different ways.
- Graphics are pretty good. The art and depth of detail are probably what caused his game to get so far behind schedule and to be released without attention to certain mechanic issues.
- There’s an item mailing system. EQOA never had this but if you have played WoW, this is pretty standard.
- A lot more quests at early levels. Additionally, most of these quests are soloable. I’m playing my friend, so we’ve had fun taking on the more challenging group quests.
- Complex combat system that allows for combo trades and keeps you focused rather than just mashing a single spell.
- The targeting system is one of the most flawed systems I have ever encountered in any MMO I have played. It’s extremely difficult to click an enemy. I find myself tabbing through enemies.
- Low population creates a lack of a strong economy. This means that building a good bankroll comes through farming rather than trading. I loved EQOA’s AH feature and while Vanguard also has an AH, their items are similar to WoW’s setup. What I mean by this is simply that there are a lot of the same items with just different stats. I’d compare this to EQOA’s crafted items.
- Buggy maps, quests, invites, everything. If you have read ANYTHING about Vanguard before playing, you would know that they released much too early because Sigil games was going bankrupt. The bugs are still very much around.
- Spells have a ton of text but don’t really explain themselves. I have read some of these lengthy tool tips 3 or 4 times and I still am looking for explanations online regarding what the spell actually does.
- Extremely cluttered UI.
So let me compare this game to what I thought of EQOA.
Category EQOA Vanguard
Art: C A
Mechanics: A D+
Quests: B- B+
Exploration: B B+
Customization: A A
UI: B C
Fun: A+ Not Sure Yet
End Game: B NSY
Conclusion: My biggest complaint with Vanguard is this: I have played for over 10 hours now and while the quests and mobs are challenging, what I’m struggling the most with is something that I should have completely down-pat by now… the mechanics. I’m having the hardest time figuring out hot keys, features that are in most games are missing, and it’s frustrating to lose battles because of bugs. However, I’m not putting it down just yet. Maybe these things work themselves out.